Enjoy Life With a Fun Fund!
Never has there been a better time to set up a ‘fun fund’ and enjoy the fruits of your saving habit.
We’ve all been through a challenging time and once normality returns we all deserve a treat.
Having money in the bank is an amazing feeling because you have a financial buffer. In addition to preparing for an emergency, you should think about finding ways to save for a fun fund, too, because treating yourself is important.
A fun fund is a separate amount to spend however you want, whenever you want. Maybe you fancy a spa day, a shopping spree, a big night out or the chance to celebrate with your family and friends?
If you open a credit union savings account then you can save as much or as a little as you want and as often as you like.
This allows you to squirrel away some savings via a direct debit or standing order. If your employer is a payroll partner with a credit union then you can even have a nominated sum deducted from your wage and placed into a savings account before you get the chance to miss – or spend – it.
The amount you save all depends on how much you can afford, so take a careful look at your finances.
Here are some tips to help you save:
- Firstly, set out your budget, including all outgoings such as bills, living expenses, savings, and so on. Now it’s time to make a little room for your ‘fun fund’.
- An easy way to pay into your fun fund is to deduct a set amount from your earnings every month. You’ll thank yourself later when you’re relaxing on the beach or surrounded by friends in a music concert.
- Sometimes saving is really about reorganising your spending on non-essential items and cutting back on things when you can
- Cut expenses and save the difference like riding your bike short distances rather than driving.
- Put aside any windfall money like birthday or Christmas gifts and deposit them into your fun fund.
- Sort out your wardrobe and cupboards and sell any unwanted items.
- Get a change jar or a piggy bank for loose change and make it a rule to never remove money from it until you are ready to spend it on something fun
- Finally, set a goal for your fun fund to stop you from spending it too soon.
For ethical savings and loans, become a member of your nearest credit union today.