Entertain Your Children On A Budget this Half-Term
Half term holidays have arrived and many of us are wondering how to entertain our children without spending a small fortune.
But there are more cheap and free activities for the entire family to take part in than you may realise.
So if you are strapped for cash then never fear, because there are budget-friendly half term days and events that will keep the youngsters occupied while ensuring your sanity and bank balance remains intact.
- National Trust has a host of free events happening over the half term. A family National Trust membership can be a cost effective way of enjoying free entry to hundreds of historic places across the UK. Find out what your nearest castle, house or attraction has to offer.
- Rather than let your child sit in front of the ipad all day long, encourage them to go out and take in some culture by visiting a local museum, which usually has free entry along with affordable school holiday activities. Throughout Wales many museums, castles and parks have children’s events already listed for the holiday period.
- Why don’t you have a family day in the kitchen together by teaching your children some handy cooking tips? There are lots of websites featuring budget recipes which can cost £1 per head to make. They’ll thank you when they’re older for those cooking skills – particularly when they’re fed up of “ready meals” at college further down the timeline.
- Explore the great outdoors by shopping around for discount travel vouchers. You may be able to enjoy a free day in the city to explore and enjoy the sights and sounds together.
- Pull on a few more layers and some decent footwear and bask in the glory of the Welsh countryside. You can pack yourself a picnic for a totally free family adventure together, whether its climbing Pen y Fan or playing outdoor games on the beautiful beaches of the Gower.
- Shop around for some great money-off discount vouchers including entry to key attractions, dining out and concerts
- If the weather isn’t great (this is Wales after all!) then a trip to the cinema may be on the agenda. Vue Cinema runs a £2.49 mini morning scheme which is great value for money – especially if you have more than one child while Cineworld and Odean offer discounted tickets for weekend and school holiday screenings.
Half-term holidays last just a week. Don’t spend so much money that it takes you months to recover from it.